What Defines True Love?

One of my favorite fishbowls we had this semester was the poetry fishbowl about true love and what it entails. I'm personally a big fan of poetry that is specifically about love because it is so powerful in many ways, and also relatable to anyone who has experienced any kind of romance in their life. During this fishbowl, we read several poems from the textbook from various writers, as well as discussing what defines true love and what words characterize it. I believed that true love is defined by the undoubtable trust and happiness you find in someone else. Many words were thrown around to characterize true love, such as, passion, trust, truth, overwhelming, etc. Professor Brady threw out the word peace, and I personally thought that was the perfect word to describe it. My favorite poem from this fishbowl was "Stop All the Clocks, Cut Off the Telephones" because it evoked the most emotion from me. This piece is a powerful poem about losing a loved one. It's incredibly raw and the tone is simply depressing.

Comments